Pink October has begun !
A movement dedicated to raising awareness of breast cancer.
In France, the most frequent cancer in women is breast cancer with more than 58,459 new cases per year. These diagnosed women are mainly over 50 years old, but the incidence of breast cancer has increased significantly in recent decades. Today there is an alarmingly growing number of women in France under 40 years old who develop breast cancer.
According to the Institut Curie, “Even if the incidence in young women is quite low, breast cancer is a reality that is not well known to the general public or even to health professionals.”
The pink ribbon is a symbol of the fight against cancer.
The main risk factors as identified by the Institut Gustave Roussy:
- Age, with more than 75% of cases occurring after age 50 and a median age of onset around 61 years.
- A Family history, that seems to be more important for the closest degrees of kinship (such as a mother or sister) or in the case of several relatives already affected. This could indicate a possible genetic predisposition linked to the mutation of BRCA genes;
- Geographical or racial factors, such as origin, hormonal variations, risk behaviors or urban areas of residence.
- History of other diseases.
- Parameters related to menstruation: early menstruation (before 12 years), late menopause (after 55 years), post-menopausal hormone treatments.
- Factors related to pregnancy: early first pregnancy (before ~20 years) or late pregnancy (after about 35 years), low breastfeeding duration, the birth of fewer than two children,
- Taking a birth control pill is not a risk factor
- High doses of radiation received.
- Lifestyle elements, like alcohol consumption, lack of exercise, overweight or a comfortable social environment.
Cancer develops silently. Screening makes a possible diagnosis before the appearance of any symptoms. AN EARLY DIAGNOSED BREAST CANCER CAN BE HEALED in 9 out of 10 women.
In order to improve breast cancer screening, the French government has launched an action plan to create a personalized follow-up, no longer based on age but according to the person’s profile (genetics, hormones…)
Today, screening in France consists of a mammogram every two years and since January 2018, a consultation has been offered to 25-year-old women to discuss the risks of breast and cervical cancer.
Top Breast Cancer Specialty Hospitals in France (2019)
- Institut Curie, Saint Cloud et Paris
- Institut Bergonié, Bordeaux
- Gustave-Roussy, Villejuif
- Hôpital Privé du Confluent, Nantes
- Clinique Clémentville, Montpellier
- Clinique Saint-Jean-de-Dieu
Never lose hope! When breast cancer is detected early, and if adequate diagnosis and treatment are available, there is a good chance that breast cancer can be cured.
– Clinician Nancy 🍀
Textes de référence :
- Santé Publique France.
- Institut Curie
- Institut Gustave Roussy: Dr Suzette Delalodge
- Ligue Cancer
1 thought on “Pink October has begun!”
Salamat po… this serves a big awareness to everyone
Comments are closed.